The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University
Description of Programs
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (Kornberg SOD) has two programs for foreign-trained dentists.
Two-Year International D.M.D. Program:
This 24-month program will accept experienced dentists who graduated from international dental schools. Preferences will be given to applicants with advanced clinical experience and who match the standards for competency expected from students moving into the junior year of the dental school at Kornberg SOD. Applicants must have passed Part I and Part II of the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) before matriculation. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 100 or higher is required. Admission into the program will be based as well on assessment of preclinical skills, communication skills and an oral examination conducted by the Program’s search committee. The school places high weight on ethical and professional conduct and evidence for desire to learn and innovate. The program operates in a comprehensive general dentistry clinic that will simulate real-life private practice. The two-year International program will begin in June 2021. The application deadline is July 15, 2020.
Three-Year International D.M.D. Program:
Kornberg SOD will also offer vacated seats in the second year of the predoctoral program to qualified foreign-trained dentists. Students accepted to this program must have graduated from an international dental school outside the United States or Canada, have passed Part I and Part II of the National Board Dental Examination and have a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination score of 100 or above. Classes for this program will begin in August 2021. The application deadline is July 15, 2020.
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry,
Office of Admissions and Student Affairs
3223 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19140
Length of Program:
Second-year class (24 Months); Third-year class (36 Months)
Program Deadline: January 15, 2020*
*All Documents Must be Received by January 15, 2020
Start Date: See start dates above
Two-Year Program: 10 Seats
Three-Year Program: Based on availability
Degree Awarded: D.M.D.
Requirements to Apply to Program
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- All applicants must successfully complete the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with a score of 100 or above for the two-year and the three-year International Dentists Programs. TOEFL score must be current; no more than two years old.
- A copy of TOEFL examination will be requested by the school if the applicant is invited to interview.
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of NBDE Parts I and Part II to be considered for admission into the second- or third-year International Dentists Program.
- NBDE verification will be requested by the school if the applicant is invited to interview.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- Completion of the ADAT is not required for admission to the program.
Letters of Evaluation
- Program requires two Letters of Evaluation written within one year from the date of application. One letter must be from the dean of the dental college attended and one letter from a science professor or dental professional.
- Letters of Evaluation must be submitted to ADEA CAAPID® no later than July 15, 2020.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) report no later than July 15, 2020.
- The supplemental application and the supplemental application fee request will be emailed to applicants.
Other Documents That Should be Sent Directly to the Program, not to ADEA CAAPID
- Supplemental application and fee must be received by the dental school upon request.
- A Skills Assessment Examination will be required for candidates who are invited to interview.
Please visit the Kornberg SOD website for details.